Est. 6.18.10

Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer is HERE!

Man am I super excited to be done with school! The last day with kids was Thursday and then we had to go in briefly on Friday to submit grades and check out for the year...and of course say bye to some of my favorite people...most of which I will see on June 18th anyways. Overall, my first year of teaching was way better than I expected. I completely fell in love with the staff (some of which are now some of my very best friends) and the kids were definately an experience. Of course there were some stinkers but for the most part, they were great. I wouldn't have made it through had I not coached. :) It is definately my favorite part of my job.

I ended in a bang. We finally got our TAKS scores back and not only did 10th grade ELA go up 1% but I had a very low failure rate. :) That's definately hard work paid off! Another thing I am particularly proud of is the intervention Megg and I conducted with specific students who did not pass TAKS because of their essay scores. Those of you not familiar with TAKS, if you do not get a 2 or higher on your essay, you automatically fail TAKS regardless of whether you got every multiple choice right or not. So we met with these students once a week for four weeks to go over in detail how to write a TAKS essay step by step. There were 55 students in our intervention. We got the results back the last week of school and out of all of those kids, 54 passed! 98% passed! WAHOOOOOO! :) if that doesn't make a teacher appreciate thier job then I don't know what does. I called Jake and he was so ecstatic for me! Talk about support. When great things happen, he is the first person I call and tell because if it's important to me, I know without a doubt that it is equally important to him. How lucky am I?! He made sure I knew he was proud of me without actually having to tell me :) LOVE HIM!


These next two months without school will definately be amazing but I think I will definately be ready for volleyball to start come the end of July. :) This time I will be Coach Manchaca! EEKKKK!

ALM :)

No comments:

Post a Comment